Back to Pelican Point Home Page


Pledge Allegiance, Call to Order:  After the pledge, Randy Malecha called the meeting to order at 1:00 pm. 

Establish Quorum of Board Members: President Randy Malecha, VP Glen Farnum, Secretary Debbie Stanley, Treasurer Kathy Mocko, and Director at Large Jeanette Cullen were present. Michelle Davis and Lynn Hiott represented Reconcilable Differences and over 20 owners were present.

Approval of Minutes: Kathy motioned to approve the minutes of the October 29th Board meeting and January 14th organizational meeting minutes as posted. Jeanette seconded, all in favor. 

Financial Report/Collection Update:  Michelle stated that through January 31, 2016, the Association has $87,332 in the operating account, although some of that is pre-paid owner assessments. There is a total of $428,615 in the various Reserve accounts and CDs. The association is under budget by $500. Michelle gave an update on unit 403B. He has now hired his own attorney, however our attorney is moving forward with Final Summary Judgment. We are waiting on the judge to order the sliders to be replaced, because water is still leaking into the unit below. 

Group Reports: 
Maintenance: Randy stated that it has been cold and the windows are sweating. He stated that he replaced one of his windows with insulated glass and this has helped. But there is humidity inside the units. He recommends using a dehumidifier and he stated that he empties about 3 gallons of water in 24 hours, but it does seem to help and there is now very little condensation.  

Social: Kathy reported that events are posted by the elevator every week. This past Tuesday, they hosted an oyster mat workshop. Brevard Zoo representatives were very appreciative of our help. The community was able to make 28 mats during this session, which will help treat 328,000 gallons of water. Kathy stated that there is information on Brown Tide on the desk in the back of the clubhouse as well, if anyone is interested. 

Old Business:

  • Gate Code Change: The gate code was changed. The owners were informed of the new code and the old code will be removed from the entrance box as of March 1st. The Board suggested having the new code explained on a small sheet of paper to be placed in each unit during pest spraying by Mike. Management will have this ready so he can put reminders in each unit. Randy stated that he wanted to really emphasize that the gate code is NOT to be used by pedestrians. This code is used for vehicle traffic ONLY. Pedestrians are supposed to enter and exit out of the small gate on the side, which requires an amenity key to be used.
  • Wendy’s pot holes and sidewalk update: Lynn met with Board members and several City of Titusville representatives to discuss the pot holes in the driveway entering Wendy’s. The officials stated that they agreed with us that these were safety concerns, so they immediately filled these potholes, even though Wendy’s is responsible. Regarding the sidewalk damage, no one from the city knew who was responsible for this, so the official from the City will contact his superiors for clarification. If their responsibility, he will place a work order to get this repaired as soon as possible. Lynn stated that if it is found to be Wendy’s responsibility and they do not repair in a reasonable amount of time, Lynn will call Code Enforcement to get their help in making Wendy’s maintain their property, because many believe this is a safety hazard, but all agreed this is not Pelican Point land.
  • Laundry Update: Randy reported that on the 4th floor of A building, the new washing machine was not working properly and he could not get it calibrated. He contacted Sears and they sent a technician out to calibrate the machine, at a cost of $137. Randy was able to learn from him and is now aware of how to calibrate the machine. The technician highly suggested no more than two tablespoons of detergent per wash. More detergent is not better in these machines. Kathy ordered small plastic shot glasses that measure 2 Tablespoons and they have now been placed on each floor with the washing machines to assist residents in using the correct amount of detergent. Even better is using ONE (1) HE “Pod” per wash. 
New Business:
  • Fire Drill: Randy reported that the pumps and hoses were removed from the cabinets on each floor, because the fire marshal agreed that they will never use ours, and will only use their own hoses. He agreed to this removal with the stipulation that the association conduct a fire drill yearly with the resident. A date and time will be scheduled and posted on the bulletin boards. Please watch for this posting. All residents are encouraged to participate. During the drill, the elevators will be accessible only for those who cannot climb the stairs, and the horns will sound loudly. Each building will have a drill captain waiting in front of the building and those residents who are home will need to check in with your building captain. This is not a timed drill, but Randy is asking for all to participate, because this may help save your life one day. 
  • New Slider doors for Clubhouse: Bids were obtained to replace the 3 sets of sliders in the clubhouse. Coastal Glass was the least expensive, at $3,000 per set. These sliders are hurricane impact doors and will require a permit from the city at a cost of $150. Debbie made a motion to approve Coastal Glass to replace the sliding doors in the clubhouse, using deferred maintenance reserve funds, and not to exceed $10,000. Kathy seconded, and all were in favor. 
  • Pool Heater: Randy stated that one of the heaters is not repairable. The flow sensor on the 2nd heater went out and we continue to lose water pressure. The remaining heater is 8 years old and the life expectancy of most heaters on the river with the salt air is about 5 years. Three bids were received. Medallion Energy bid $4,250, United Solar bid $4,982 and Pinch a Penny bid $5,700. Glen made a motion to approve Medallion Energy’s bid for $4,250, conditional on getting the same warranty that the others proposed, and using pool reserves. Jeanette seconded, and all were in favor. 
  • Fining Committee: Randy stated that at the last meeting, we had four volunteers to be on this fining committee, they are: Jim Bakos, unit 409A, Jim Pizzuti in unit 106A, Bob Reed in unit 309A, and Donna Viano in unit 303C. These are the people who will administer the fine process when a resident fails to remediate violations. Basically, they are the last arbiter that a resident who is accused of rules violation has. Once the Board or management discovers or is notified of a violation, they tell the resident about the violation and ask that they correct the issue. The notice will state that if the violation is not corrected, then a fine may be imposed. Randy reminded owners that they are responsible for their tenant’s actions and will be ultimately held responsible for fines levied against their tenants.
Owner Input: Roger asked that since the old fire pump is being removed, could this be opened up for storage to the owners, Randy replied that this is not a safe place, with pumps and equipment still in there, so no personal storage can be placed there. Another owner asked when the pool was going to reopen and Randy stated that the temperatures have been cold. Once the temperature increases, Randy will re-open the pool. Norm Nelson stood and thanked the Board members for their hard work. 

Set Next Meeting Date:  The next meeting has not been set, but notice will be posted when the need arises for a meeting. 

Adjournment: There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 1:35 pm.  

Respectfully Submitted,

Lynn Hiott, LCAM 

Michelle Davis, CMCA, AMS, CAM
Community Association Managers
Reconcilable Differences, Inc.