Back to Pelican Point Home Page
RDI  HOME

 THE ASSOCIATION OF PELICAN POINT, INC
MINUTES of the BOARD MEETING held
THURSDAY, February 26, 2015

Pledge Allegiance, Call to Order:  After the pledge, Randy Malecha called the meeting to order at 1:00 pm. 

Establish Quorum of Board Members: President Randy Malecha, VP Glen Farnum, Secretary Debbie Stanley, Treasurer Kathy Mocko, and Director at Large Jeanette Cullen were present. Michelle Davis and Lynn Hiott represented Reconcilable Differences and 15 owners were present.

Approval of Minutes: Debbie motioned to approve the minutes of the October 23, 2014 meeting and the organizational minutes of the January 8, 2015 meeting as posted. Glen seconded, all in favor. 

Financial Report/Collection Update:  Michelle stated that through January 31st, the Association has $85,431 in the operating account, although $11,036 of that is pre-paid owner assessments, leaving $74,395 actually in the operating account. There is a total of $366,721 in the various Reserve accounts and CDs. The association is under budget by $2,500. The unpaid collection accounts are at $7,319, mostly due to legal fees owed by one owner regarding his leaking doors. The other accounts that show as past due are owners who did not increase their payments in January when fees went from $240 to $246 per month. 

Group Reports: 

Maintenance Report: Randy stated that the laundry machines are bringing in good income. There are no problems he can’t handle. There was a problem with chinch bugs and the sod was replaced by building A. Mike continues to monitor the seawall and continues to fill the sink holes as they happen. There is fabric in front of the seawall to help hold the dirt in. 

Tennis court has been resurfaced and looks great with the new fence around it. Randy was happy to report that residents have been using the tennis court. 

Pool: The cover will stay on during the cooler days. If the cover is removed, this allows the heat to escape and is harder for the heat pump to keep the water heated. No one is going into the pool on the colder days, so this is why they have been keeping the solar cover on. Randy reported that they still need volunteers to assist with the covering and uncovering of the pool. When he is out of town on vacation, then volunteers are asked to cover it at night. 

Social Group: Randy reported that Kathy Mocko has been helping out a lot recently, and has taken over as chairperson for the social group. Kathy presented a request to have the association purchase a large flat screen TV for the clubhouse wall. Jeanette made a motion to approve the purchase of a new TV for the clubhouse, not to exceed $600, with the funds coming from the operating account using the maintenance materials and supplies line. Debbie seconded the motion, and all were in favor. Lynn also reported that Brighthouse will install a set top box for the clubhouse at no extra cost to the association. 
Kathy reported that Monday coffee is still going on, bingo is being held every other Monday night, Tuesday and Thursday are card nights. Wednesday is the Women’s Lunches with about 15-20 participating, and Terry Knap has taken over Pot Luck Dinners every other Friday. 

Kathy stated that new ideas are catching on. They had an arts and crafts day, a high tea on March 18th, and will continue to post the updated signs and signup lists with group information. Some of the things that they would like to get started are working on “oyster mats” for the lagoon and movie nights. The oyster mat making workshop is an environmental project to help clean up the rivers, and Brevard Zoo comes out and assists in making the mats. She will continue to work on making this happen.  

Old Business: 

Elevator Updates: Randy reported that he received a call from Mark with Traveler Elevator, and they plan to start the elevator cab renovations on Friday, March 6th. They will begin with the elevator in the A building and move to B after completing the first building. He estimates about a day for each building. Randy will try to keep everyone informed of the closing of elevators with notices posted in the bulletin boards. Randy explained that they are updating everything in the elevators except the floor. Samples were present in the clubhouse during the meeting. 

Dog Registrations: The Pet Committee chair, Michelle Williams, was not able to attend the meeting, however Randy reported that there are still issues with residents not walking their dogs in the proper places. Some residents are allowing their dogs to urinate around the buildings. He reiterated that the dogs must be on a leash and walked to the dog walk area before allowing them to do their business. Randy also reported that owners and tenants must abide by the weight restriction of 24 pounds. There is currently a tenant who brought an oversized dog, but this tenant is a snowbird and was informed that they could not return with the oversized dog next year. The committee asked that all residents complete the registration forms for their animals. These forms can be sent to management or turned into Michelle Williams with the Pet Committee. 

New Business:
City Parking Rules: Debbie read #20 from the condo’s Rules and Regulations, which states: The Association of Pelican Point must comply with the Titusville Municipal Code of Ordinances (Section 39-71) concerning residential parking. Section 39-71 states “ (a) Districts in which parking is prohibited: It shall be unlawful for any person, either as an agent, owner, occupant, lessee, tenant or otherwise, to park, store, deposit or allow, cause or permit to be parked, stored or deposited on any public or private property in any residential zoning districts of the City any road tractor, semi-trailer, truck tractor or any combination thereof or any other truck or special mobile equipment or other heavy equipment of whatever type, size or nature.” Further stated: “a commercial vehicle designed as a van, pick-up truck or similar vehicle may be parked on a legally recognized parking area” where it does not interfere with individual owner residential parking. The foregoing is a minimum standard and does not operate to supersede the more stringent standards contained in these Rules and Regulations. To the extent of any inconsistency, these Rules and Regulations, as from time to time amended, shall govern parking on the Condominium Property.
Randy reported that residents who have “commercial vehicles” which includes vehicles that have signage, must park their vehicles in the far back corner of the parking lot where the trailers and boats are stored. No commercial vehicles can park near the buildings. There is one truck that is leaking oil and this owner has been told that this vehicle must be repaired and can only park in the designated area. The other vehicle in question is a van with commercial markings, and management will send them a letter to have this vehicle removed from the property as the Board was informed that the resident that lives within Pelican Point does drive the van part time, but their co-workers come into the complex, leave their vehicles and drive out with the commercial van. This cannot be allowed and must be stopped immediately. 

Interior Drainage Water Pipes: Randy reported that there was a recent event where the shared drainage line in a “stack” clogged, and sewage did about $2,000 worth of damage to the inside of one first floor unit. He said that residents need to be aware that the “garbage disposal” does not work to finely grind up things like egg shells, cabbage, vegetables, etc. When these items are put down the drains, they eventually clog, and this sort of back-up occurs. Grease is the largest problem. When it cools, it thickens in the pipes and really causes havoc. So as a reminder to all residents, please be careful in what you put down your sink. 

HO6 Polices: Randy reminded all residents that this personal condo insurance is needed by all unit owners. Michelle reiterated that Florida Condo Law requires owners to cover damage in their units whether they are at fault or not. Flooring, carpet, wall coverings, cabinets, counters, personal items; all are covered by the individual H06 policies, not the association. 

There are specific coverages that need to be included in your HO6 policies: Dwelling Coverage - which generally insures the interior walls, drywall, wallpaper, paneling, flooring, carpeting, or built in cabinets. The interior of your unit is YOUR responsibility. 
Then there is personal property coverage that typically protects your personal belongings against the same list of risk and perils mentioned in dwelling coverage above. Personal property would include everything you own in your home. Furniture, TVs, computers, rugs, clothing, books, cookware, etc. 

Loss of Use Coverage is important because if you have a loss that occurs to your unit, it can take time to renovate your unit. This coverage will insure you for temporary housing expenses and is usually limited to about 40% of your personal property coverage. 
Special Assessment Coverage is required by the condo statute to be a part of every H06 policy. If a fire or hurricane hits the property and a Special Assessment is billed by the Association, your policy will cover at least $2,000 of it; more coverage is also available.  
Even if you own your unit outright and you have no mortgage on the unit, it is highly advisable to purchase an HO6 policy on your unit. 
There was a change to the Florida Statutes in July 2014, and now the Association is not responsible for drywall replacement unless there is an insurable loss (fire or storm damage), so if your neighbors water heater bursts and affects your unit, you are responsible to pay for the repair. The H06 policy will allow your insurer to pay for your repairs while trying to obtain compensation from the neighboring unit’s owner or insurer. 

Welcome Packet for Tenants: Lynn reported that we mail out a Welcome package to new owners, but nothing is given to new tenants. Lynn gave Jeanette and Kathy a few forms to look at. They will work on changing and creating a welcome package for new tenants. 

City Quitclaim Deed: Randy reported that recently the association was made aware of a small piece of land near the front entry gate that the city gave to the Dr. Patel office on the south side of the property. We met with the city attorney and the basis for doing this did not make sense, so the Association attorney, Paul Wean, was asked to handle this. He was able to work with the city officials and get this property deeded back to Pelican Point, as it was initially intended. The City approved the quit claim deed at their last city council meeting, and we should be receiving this signed deed very soon. 

Owner Input: Glen asked about video cameras or security cameras. Management stated that we have obtained many bids through the years, but all were expensive or wouldn’t do what was needed. Glen agreed to look through all the bids, get input from Jim Bakos, and work on getting revised bids to discuss at the next meeting.
 
Jeanette stated that she is trying to work with the City of Titusville to possibly add reflectors on the roadway at the entrance to Pelican Point, because it is very dark at night and hard to see the curb as you make a left turn into the driveway. She will report on this at the next Board meeting. 

Set Next Meeting Date:  No meeting date was set. If needed, an agenda will be posted at least 48 hours before the meeting, as required by FL. Statute.   

Adjournment: There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 1:48 pm.  

Respectfully Submitted,

Lynn Hiott, LCAM
Michelle Davis, CMCA, AMS, CAM
Community Association Managers
Reconcilable Differences, Inc.